We’ve got some thoughts on dogs sleeping in bed to share with you today. It is a topic people feel strongly about either one way or the other. It has been studied a lot the past few years. Having us in bed with our humans is a good thing and we do not ruin your sleep!
At our house, the girls sleep in bed with Mom every night. I sometimes hop in for a quick snuggle, but being a tough guy, I prefer to sleep on the hard, tile floor in the bathroom. There isn’t much room for me in the bed anyway. Mom slept with a huge pile of stuffies as a kid, and it makes her happy to finally have real furry ones in bed at night.
What are some of the benefits of dogs sleeping in bed?
- Touching your dog while sleeping helps to keep blood pressure low.
- Sleep scores are higher with people who sleep with their dog.
- Depression is reduced as being cuddled with your dog increases the flow of oxytocin, a feel good hormone.
- Humans feel much more secure.
- Time in REM sleep in increased.
- People fall relax and fall asleep faster.
- Feelings of loneliness decrease and self esteem increases.
- The dog-human bond becomes stronger.
- Bad dreams seem to decrease when your pup in sleeping in your bed.
What are some things to consider when letting your dog sleep in bed?
- Accidents can happen, cover your mattress with a washable, waterproof mattress cover.
- Make sure your dog is free of fleas and ticks and that they take preventatives.
- Give senior dogs a ramp or steps to get in and out of bed to prevent injury.
- Bathe your dog regularly.
- If you have allergies, don’t allow your dog to sleep in your bed.
At our house, we are all happy about sleeping in bed with Mom. Nelson is happy on the floor. Our sleeping arrangement is the right one for us. It may not be for everyone, but it is not wrong to allow your pup to sleep in your bed.